Southern Pines Estate Planning
Many people believe that estate planning is only for the wealthiest of families. The fact is, virtually every family and individual can benefit from having an estate plan, one created and implemented by an attorney who focuses on this area of the law.
Without your own plan, created with an estate planning lawyer, the state of North Carolina will control how your assets are distributed after you pass away. The state isn’t interested in reducing settlement costs, streamlining asset distribution or ensuring that your wishes are carried out.
Another reason to have your own estate plan is to ensure that you can control who makes medical and financial decisions on your behalf if you become incapacitated. Without a properly designed plan, someone will petition the court to gain control over your medical care and assets. This could very well be a person you would not want to make these important decisions for you.
At Ward Law Offices, our estate planning attorney services include:
Advanced Estate Planning
For wealthy families, estate planning frequently requires sophisticated strategies and tools. Beyond the basics of foundational planning, families of means often must address issues such as:
- Assuring the continuance of surviving family members’ lifestyle
- Passing values and a sense of responsibility to heirs
- Substantially reducing income, estate, gift and generation skipping taxes
- Keeping family matters and financial information private through a properly funded and implemented trust
- Making sure heirs are mature enough to handle an inheritance on their own; if they are not, steps often must be taken to protect the inheritance until they are ready
- Protecting heirs’ inheritances in the event of divorce, remarriage or the influence of unscrupulous predators
- Charitable giving
- Ensuring a lasting legacy and impact on society
Our firm’s Founder, Attorney Maureen Callahan Ward, has nearly 20 years of experience designing innovative, sophisticated estate plans for families of means. As part of her collaborative approach to planning, she welcomes the opportunity to work with your existing financial professionals and other valued advisors. Contact us to schedule a consultation to discuss your particular needs and hopes for the future.